Thursday, May 7, 2009

First Plants in the Ground - Eggplant

We were both so eager to get SOMETHING in the ground that even though I've been crazy swamped we put 4 little eggplant seedlings in the first row with a big handful of earthworm castings and covered them with the row cover cloth. There's room for another 4 or 5 plants in that row still.

The beans/peas are SO ready to be in the ground but I don't want to put them in till we get the rest of the fence up because I really don't want them to get eaten by rabbits. I don't know what the rabbit population is this year, but a few years ago when I was hoping to plant flowers for my wedding, the rabbits ate all the flower sprouts, so I don't trust them one bit...

Also really ready are all the squash and melons, but they are going to need a lot of space I think, so I need to actually figure those out too. The eggplants were just the most brainless in terms of figuring out the spacing, thus they got to be first.

No comments:

Post a Comment